Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Nap Struggles...

I have a quick question for my blogging friends... so we took Ellie's paci away about a month ago. She did really well at first and there were no problems with her going to bed at night. However, the last week or so she will not take a nap. She seems sort of tired, but not like she used to be when she was younger. She used to miss maybe one nap a month where she was just not tired and she would sleep for 2-3 hours. Lately, she just talks, laughs, plays, etc... I cannot get her to calm down. We replaced the paci with a little stuffed animal cause she is all about something to hold onto while asleep. I put her down and she never really screams to get out for atleast 45 minutes so I do get some quiet time, but I miss my 2-3 hours of solitude. I go in lay her back down and go through the whole night night routine. I discipline her probably 3 times during our battle of the nap. She is wired just like her daddy and could stay up until midnight if we would let her. However, I know she is tired cause the past couple of nights we've gotten in the car to go somewhere for the evening and she falls asleep in like 5 minutes. Any advice for my non-napping toddler?!!! I would watch out by saying my toddler naps so well cause I used to say that and now look where we are at these days!

3 comments:

The Martins said...

I've heard stories like this! I have a friend who her two year old stopped napping when the new baby was born. She has "quiet time" in her room, but it is just not the same. Micah went through a phase where he would play in his bed for over an hour until he fell asleep. Honestly, I would have to get mean mommy face on and go sternly tell him no more playing or talking and to go to bed. Some discipline in there too. It seemed to work, but I feel like it is a time bomb waiting to explode. Whatever you do, don't give in and let her come out. If she won't sleep at least make her stay in her room. That's my two cents.

Kelly Via said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Via said...

I am so sorry that you are having nap-time struggles. To add two more pennies to the mix...Your children love TV as do mine. I have noticed on days where Cana watches more TV and does less interaction with me(painting, coloring, etc) and physical activity(dancing, jumping...indoor or outdoors) she does not want to take a nap. She's tired, like Ellie, but does not want to take a nap...and then in the evening it is a good chance she will melt. (I am looking forward to Spring because Cana can run and play outside and be ready for some rest during naptime.) So now, I try to find things for Cana to do that will use her energy in the mornings so that she needs her nap, and we try to limit our sweet Dora and Deigo :) So basically when Cana started not wanting to take a nap, we limited the TV and did more physical/interactive activites with her. It really helped Cana's naptimes. However, I am not sure if this is the root of your sleep-less afternoons, but maybe this will help.