Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ellie's trip to the dentist....

Well, little Ellie survived her trip to the pediatric dentist. I would highly recommend you all to take your children to a ped. one! We got there and Nemo was playing on their t.v. which was a big hit with Ellie. They actually had an indoor play area there as well. We did not have to wait to long and they called Ellie back to see the dentist. I had to wait in the waiting area... I was expecting this cause my friend Sarah who is a dentist said when parents come back it ruins everything for the dentist. I heard Ellie scream a couple of times. Actually, it was more of a terror scream for mommy. However, I told them to do whatever they needed to get an x-ray cause I was concerned about her front tooth. It has a little chip and a line going through it with one side of it kind of a gray tint. They had "cars" playing for Ellie above her dental chair. They hygenist held her for her xray picture. I don't know if they were being honest, but they said she did really well. She wouldn't let them brush her teeth, but she did enjoy brushing her teeth for them. She also got a flouride treatment. The bad news is that Ellie's tooth is fractured. We were at chick fil a about 5 months ago and she got hurt there. Her lip was bleeding and I guess she actually fractured her tooth. It is hard to explain, but she also damaged the nerves. They now have to REMOVE her tooth. I like the word REMOVE much better than EXTRACT. The dentist said if we don't have it removed she could get an infection and the tooth is also moving around. I can't believe it has not fallen out as many suckers as she has eaten. I know all of my mom friends are wondering how they will get it out without her going crazy. They prescribed her a pill of "valium" which I have to give her one hour before the procedure. It will make her sleepy and out of it. When they do the procedure they will give her nitrous oxcide etc.. and it should not be to big of a deal. I immediately thought so she isn't going to have a front tooth. It is the one on top as well. They do make an artificial one they can glue in place of her missing one. However, she still doesn't have her 4 molars and the dentist said we might have to wait awhile. She said many people never get an artificial one cause of cost. However, cause Ellie has been so slow on getting many of her teeth. She said that she could be really slow on losing her teeth. I think I am going to have to get her the artificial tooth. I would feel so bad for her if in every picture she is missing her front tooth. Please, pray it all goes well. Also, if anyone has any experience in this stuff let me know. The good thing is when we left Ellie said " Go again". She loved her stickers and toy they gave her. It is never to early to go to the dentist! I was going to let Steph and Jenn know that Ellie now has a treatment plan!

3 comments:

The Via Colony said...

I have never heard of a ped. dentist. I'll have to look that up here. I think two of Zeke's teeth are fused together somehow. The crack between them doesn't go all the way down. Anyway, so sorry to hear about Ellie's tooth=( I'll def. pray for her, and you too!

Stephanie said...

Holly...I'm so sad about Ellie's tooth! I can't believe that. The good news is that she seems to associate "fun" with the dentist, but I sure hope she's not in any pain when they do the procedure. I'm sure with kids they don't take any chances with pain however. We will pray for her and for you guys...when will she have that done?

the broomes said...

Oh, Holly... that really stinks! I'm glad that the whole dentist experience was relatively good...but I can't imagine having to worry about "false teeth" at this point!!!:) Fred and I both agree that ya'll are making the right decision to go with the temporary implant...that would be kind of sad to have like 5 years (or more!) of toothless grins!